Thursday, April 12, 2012

Huzzah!

Well, today's meeting was a rousing success. We had roughly thirty-five people show up, none of whom left after grabbing a slice of pizza.

Naturally, I was nervous. In fact I spend twenty of the last thirty minutes leading up to the meeting freaking out, walking off nervous energy and telling myself it was silly to worry that we would only have three people, we had at least nine, from last Tuesday's meeting. It was also silly, I tried telling myself, to worry that I was either going to bore or offend every person that did show up. But telling myself something doesn't make me believe it.

Of course, when I got back to the lecture hall ten minutes before the meeting and found well over a dozen people already seated, most of those fears melted away. Not so for my treasurer, who apparently was worried a crazy fundamentalist was going to take advantage of their new right to conceal carry on campus and express their opinion of us with bullets. But then, he's from Texas, that's to be expected.

I'm going to be honest; it made me kind of happy when a person from the "Progressive Religious Orediggers" (who are associated with a local unitarian church) said she wanted to associate with us... and also said that she had practically no student interest. I'll be good, and we'll work with them, but it made me a little happy that my group was doing better.

I had two people immediately volunteer to be secretary, just after the meeting, and there was a lot of interest in another general meeting, so we've scheduled one two weeks from today, same time, same place. We think we're going to see if there's a faculty member or local speaker we can bring in. And there was a lot of interest in the Ask An Atheist table as well, for next Thursday. I've got some things to do on Orgsync, following today's meeting.

On top of all of that, we ended up with just about the perfect amount of pizza.

Everything really came together today-- on a personal note, I got registered, so I'm not worried about that anymore, and now I can focus on studying for my next physics exam, on Tuesday. But mostly for the group. Everything went really well, and I couldn't be happier.

1 comment:

  1. YAY!!!!!!

    It was a great meeting, and I got to meet a couple of interesting people. Maybe there is something to this whole. . . "being social" thing. . .


    NAH! :P

    ReplyDelete