Sunday, April 1, 2012

HPMOR

I have news (which is also related to why I am not posting much today): the single most hilarious, fantastic fanfic I have ever read has new chapters up.

Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality is written by Eliezer Yudkowsky of Less Wrong, which has one of the most interesting (I'd say "understandable" but I think my perspective on that is skewed) explanations of quantum physics I have ever encountered. The premise of the fic is fairly simple: The Boy Who Lived was raised by scientists to think like a scientist, and then he gets his Hogwarts letter. This is fascinating, all of the science is perfectly real, and it changes things considerably. It's also hilarious-- Harry's sense of humor is something else. If you read no further, make sure to read at least through chapter five, where Harry meets Draco Malfoy for the first time. It's hilarious. In addition to this, the author has determined that at no point in the story will anyone hold the Idiot Ball-- that is, no character will ever act stupid for the sake of the plot. This involves a lot of Lampshade Hanging (if you don't recognize the term, go check out TV tropes, but be warned: you may well get sucked in), where Harry remarks on how idiotic some of the events of the original books are. 

Anyway, I got distracted reading it, and now I've got to go to bed. But check it out, it's awesome. Also, Voldemort horcruxed the Pioneer plaque. Just saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment