Thursday, April 5, 2012

Critical (thinking) failure

I love my school, but sometimes, I hate the students here.

I understand how it happens. They were the really smart ones in school. They were never challenged. They could just coast, and get their stright A's. Or maybe they were just the ones who knew really well how to play the game, and get the A's. Either way, they never had to think, never had to try to learn things. Their teachers were so busy making sure the lowest common denomintor got through that these kids just skated by. And now they're here, and they don't know how to think.

I see it in all of my classes. Last year I had to teach kids who had taken geometry far more recently than I to use their compass, because the teacher had only explicitly explain one of the six problems. In my math and physics classes, people were taught mnemonic and memorized formulas, and they never quite managed the theory. I don't blame their teachers; it is very hard to get people who don't care to learn the theory when they could just memorize.

Today I've heard so many I want to scream. First, my teacher is talking about "cubic feet per second" and then he starts saying "cfs" and people can't figure that out. Though to be fair, that was just the one idiot that I wonder how he even got into this school. Then we're supposed to plot data points, draw a line of best fit, and answer some questions. It makes sense to answer the questions using the line, and it makes none to do otherwise. And still half the class asked, rather than stopping a moment to think it through.

I think perhaps this SSA club is going to have to work really hard to get people to start using reason and critical thinking. *sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment