Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Here we go!

Well, it's official.

Almost, anyway.

Today I finally met the elusive Matt, and collapsed his wave-function most favorably indeed. Cats have been herded, we got all the student signatures we need, our by-laws are ready except for our statement of purpose (which will be done within a couple of days), we've got a faculty adviser who just needs to sign the form, and we have a President, Vice President, and Treasurer already in place. (I am that president, by the way, a fact which pleases me even though I know it'll make life busy as hell next year.) We even have our first TWO things planned!

We are going to be an officially branded affiliate of the SSA, bearing the name "Secular Student Alliance at the Colorado School of Mines" or "SSACSM" if we are being lazy. Huzzah for support from a national organization. We decided today that, whether we have ourselves made official by the school yet or not, we would like to have an informational meeting on Thursday, April 12. There will be pizza (our new VP offered to buy it) and I'll be talking for a few minutes about who we are and why we exist and what we want to do.

A week later is National Ask An Atheist Day. Since we've already got one thing going, we figured, why not do another? Get us some visibility, grow our membership. (Did I mention that the SSA will give me business cards? Not really related to the current topic, I'm just excited about it.) We're going to set up a table, either in the student center or the big field where people hang out, depending on the weather, with SSA banners and stuff and a big sign that says "Atheists! Ask Away!" Should be fun.

In the mean time, I've got to make sure the by-laws are good, come up with a mission statement we can agree on, create a powerpoint and write some sort of presentation for that first meeting, ask whether the Meyer Hall lecture hall is open at the time we want, meet with Dr. Young for his signature, get all the paperwork into the Student Activities office, and ask a few important questions there, approve a flier that has not been created yet for posting, help post fliers... and maintain my grades, of course.

I do believe I'm about to be busier than I have ever been before.

Bring it on.

1 comment:

  1. WOOT!!!!!

    Sorry, my brain is too fuzzy to come up with a better comment at the moment.

    ReplyDelete